Video SongsReviewsWallpapersEventsGalleryTrailersExclusiveContact Us
Home > Box-Office Records And Collections > Third Hit In A Row For Chiru-KRR Combo

Gharana Mogudu: Third Hit In A Row For Chiru-KRR Combo

September 04, 2007

Nagma and ChiranjeeviDevi Film Productions' Gharana Mogudu, released on 9th April, 1992, was the first Telugu film to collect a distributors' share of Rs. 10 crore. It was the third straight hit for the combination of K. Raghavendra Rao and megastar Chiranjeevi (after Jagadeka Veerudu Atiloka Sundari and Rowdy Alludu).

A remake of the Tamil hit Mannan, the film, produced by K. Devi Vara Prasad and co-starring Nagma-Vani Viswanath, completed 100 days in as many as 39 centres and was the third silver jubilee film of Chiranjeevi (after Pasivadi Pranam and Jagadeka Veerudu Atiloka Sundari).

The song Bangaru Kodi Petta, picturised on Chiranjeevi and Disco Shanti, was a big hit.

It grossed a record Rs. 45,75,358 from Sandhya 70mm, Hyderabad, where the film had a 183-day run.

The 100-day celebrations of the film were held at Brahmananda Reddy Stadium in Guntur on 26th July, 1992.

The film was later remade in Hindi as Laadla [Anil Kapoor, Sridevi and Raveena Tandon].

2ChittoorMSR Theatre
13SrikakulamDeepa Mahal
15RajahmundrySri Siva Jyothi
16KakinadaPadma Priya
18MandapetaSurya Mahal
21EluruSri Panduranga Picture Palace
22TanukuPadmasri Picture Palace
23BheemavaramSri Annapurna
24TadepalligudemPrabhath Talkies
25PalakolluSrinivasa Deluxe
26VijayawadaRaj 70mm
29VuyyuruTandava Lakshmi
30GunturSri Krishna Picture Palace
31TenaliSwaraj Talkies
32OngoleRatna Mahal
34HyderabadSandhya 70mm (183 days)
37Khammam Nartaki

"Yes! The number 1 movie in the Telugu industry today is Gharana Mogudu!" quotes Devi Vara Prasad.

Starring Chiranjeevi and directed by K. Raghavendra Rao, Gharana Mogudu set a new all-time record by collecting a share of 4 crores in 50 days. Devi Vara Prasad, the producer, gave this exclusive interview to a prominent newspaper on this eventful incident.

How do you feel about this record set by a movie produced by you?

In 20 years of my film life, I have never seen such an outstanding success. It's thrilling. A movie's success is shared by every member of the unit. So it's not my victory alone, but the victory of the entire unit of Gharana Mogudu.

There were some rumors circulating around that the film's collections dropped in the second week. Did that come to your notice?

Some people have propagated such rumors because they wanted the movie to fail. Yes, I did get to know such sayings were doing the rounds. I know some people prayed for the movie to bomb, but the collections never dropped.

The information about the collection that you've got has been put up in the papers by you. Some say that they are exaggerated and untrue. Your reaction to that?

(Laughs) I don't care about such jobless entities who talk whatever comes to their mind. Finally, as a producer, I'm satisfied with the movie I made. The buyers are happy. More than anything, the audiences are the happiest. Instead of making false allegations, people who talk about the movie's collections should go and do a proper enquiry. That's all.

So business-wise and collection-wise, would you say Gharana Mogudu is at the Number 1 position now?

In 80% of the centers, the movie has created a record. In the remaining 20% of the centers, the verdict will be out in 4-5 weeks. I'm very confident that the movie will eventually be the Number 1 Telugu movie business-wise and collection-wise. It is heading there.

Do you believe that the movie will remain Number 1 forever?

Time doesn't remain still, it goes forward. It's a creative field, and there is a healthy rivalry amongst the creators to make better and better movies all the time. That's how the industry will blossom. Only then people in the industry will be satisfied with their work. If more number of movies become successful, the small technicians will gain more work. If Gharana Mogudu is the Number 1 right now, a bigger movie might come and beat its record some time. This won't remain stagnant. But the thing is, right now as the producer of Gharana Mogudu, I'm immensely pleased with the record it has created.

Where will you celebrate the movie's success? Where will the function be held?

Wherever the function won't be disturbed if it rains, and where Chiranjeevi fans can come and celebrate their happiness. Right now, I'm not revealing the venue-it's a suspense.

The happiness in delivering a huge hit is evident in Devi Vara Prasad. If he doesn't get the right story for his next movie in the next six months, he's planning to team up with Chiranjeevi again.